Batch 4 released 14th November!
***Please note the details about Cable options and shipping***
Two small notes from August - i) Dual Filter Cutoff knobs have been changed to have Orange caps - this helps quick identification of functions within the system, ii) new banana cable types - picture to be updated shortly - I now sourced large quantities of custom molded cables.
The SynthVoice brings together all the elements of the classic 'subtractive synthesis' methods though, with full patchability, never limits you to such linear approaches. The setup can be played standalone or thrives from external control, whether from another Modular system or an external controller/sequencer.
Many of the circuits are built around the powerful V2164 quad-VCA chip which leads to the natural 'two of most things' - because one is never enough. In this way, the system can easily be patched for one or two voice operation without compromise (indeed there are 7 oscillating sources, so you can go even further).
Full Instructions for the SynthVoice - PDF c.1Meg
HiRes Image of the SynthVoice
60 will be built through 2016 - and hopefully more beyond.
The SynthVoice combines the following modules:
- two Voltage Controlled Attack-Decay/Release Envelopes which can be Gated, Triggered or set to loop (oscillate). Fast and Slow(/Slower) ranges cover audio or LFO territories (down to c.40Sec per cycle in Slower mode) - the independent Up/Down control gives very different sonic results from the regular VCOs.
3 x Compact VCO
- small but powerful, stable and accurate Voltage Controlled Oscillators covering Audio and Sub-Audio ranges with four manually swept waveforms. Each Osc features precise Tune, Fine and Octave switching along with polarizing Exponential FM, 1V/Oct input and Sync input.
- a twin Filtering unit built around State-Variable Filters which offer Low/Band/High responses with variable resonance up to self-oscillation (which tracks 1V/Oct). The left-hand filter can be switched to sub-audio mode for glide, differentiation, or low-frequency sine-waves.
- these not only cover your standard VCA duties (DC-coupled, naturally, so fine controlling audio or sub-audio signals), but each integrates a switchable wave-shapping post stage - Wave-folding on the left, zener soft-clipping Saturation on the right.
- two sections to mix your signals. The top two channel DC mixer allows polarized mixing, while the Main and Sub mix combines three inputs into two independent output audio buses with balanced 1/4" jacks.
- the system's exoskeleton not only provides a strong housing, but also holds the internal power conditioning and distribution - an external worldwide 12VDC supply is converted to internal bipolar +/-15V and distributed to each module. The DC input and 0V grounding point are mounted on the left-hand side of the back.
All modules follow the Frac-Rack standards (multiples of 1.5" width, 5.25" height, max 1.65" depth) and feature PCB material front panels for clear, eye-catching and durable appearance.
The SynthVoice comes with a universal 12VDC power supply (accepts standard IEC C14 'kettle plug' - 90-264VAC).
Cables for patching are not
included as standard, so please select from the following:
Banana Cable Pack
- 20 x 4mm banana cables. 5 cables of each colour Yellow/Green/Blue/Red - 4 x 25cm, 1 x 50cm
Interface Cable Pack
- 4 x 60cm Banana to Minijack cables - one with black grounding cable.
give full details of patching standards and use of interface cables.
- due to size/weight, all UK shipments will be done with Parcelforce 48, while international shipments will be done with UPS in most cases. Note that import taxes/duties may be payable and VAT is charged on all EU sales. The packed weight is 4kg with or without cables.
For international orders - please include a contact telephone number in the Order Notes - this is required for the UPS booking
Shipping rates are based on standard Western Europe / continental US locations - other countries or remote addresses may incur extra costs. In such cases I will have to email you for any extra fees.
UK: £17.00, EU: £26.00, US: £31.50
The SynthVoice weighs around 2kg and measures 16.75" x 5.25" x 3.5".
It is provided as standard for desktop usage but 19" rack-mount is available as a custom option (requires changing position of DC input to the rear).
Two year parts warranty.
Added on Thursday 31 March, 2016.